How to delete photos from my iPhone
Paul Hopewell
2014-05-22 16:35:03 UTC
Hello,
If I look in the photos app on my iPhone 3gs (latest level of IOS 6) I see several folders which each contain several JPG files.
I would ideally like to delete some of the folders but if that cannot be done then I would like to delete individual photos.
I have tried everything I can think of but cannot find a way to delete either the folders or the individual photos.
How do I delete photos?
Many thanks.

Paul Hopewell
Sarah k Alawami
2014-05-22 16:40:00 UTC
1. go to the photos app
2. go to albums tab
3. double tap select
4. select each photo you want to delete.
5. select delete.

Note, if you delete from an album they will I believe be deleted from the camera role and viceversa. I found this out the hard way.
Post by Paul Hopewell
Hello,
If I look in the photos app on my iPhone 3gs (latest level of IOS 6) I see several folders which each contain several JPG files.
I would ideally like to delete some of the folders but if that cannot be done then I would like to delete individual photos.
I have tried everything I can think of but cannot find a way to delete either the folders or the individual photos.
How do I delete photos?
Many thanks.
Paul Hopewell
To reply to this post, please address your message to mac-access at mac-access.net
<http://www.mail-archive.com/mac-access at mac-access.net/>.
<http://www.mail-archive.com/mac-access at mac-access.net/maillist.xml>
As the Mac Access Dot Net administrators, we do our very best to ensure that the Mac-Access E-Mal list remains malware, spyware, Trojan, virus and worm-free. However, this should in no way replace your own security strategy. We assume neither liability nor responsibility should something unpredictable happen.
Paul Hopewell
2014-05-22 17:08:52 UTC
Hi Sarah,
That works OK to delete photos from camera roll. However I have a couple of other albums which were created by synching with iTunes. Neither the edit button nor the delete option are there for these photos. If I delete them from the pictures folder on my iMac and then sync again will that delete them from my iPhone? What do I do if I want to delete them from my iPhone but leave them on my iMac?
Many thanks.

Paul Hopewell
thankisdelte i5tunes.woukd
Sarah k Alawami
Esther
2014-05-22 18:08:59 UTC
Hi Paul,

When you are on the Albums tab of Photos on your iPhone, can you double tap the edit button in the top right corner, then flick past the camera roll to the album you want to delete and double tap to delete it?

I don't have albums on my device. I created an album, under Photos on my iPhone using the "add" button and then tried to delete it. This seems to work.

HTH. Cheers,

Esther
Paul Hopewell
Paul Hopewell
2014-05-22 18:33:23 UTC
Hi Esther,
I tried this and it does not work for me. I have 3 albums: camera roll, photo library, and choir. If I double tap the edit button and then double tap either photo library or choir I get a button to re-order choir via drag and drop. If I double tap that button the drag and drop does not work.
What you describe ought to work as it works like that for other types of item. Maybe there is a bug in the latest level of IOS 6 which is fixed in IOS 7.
Many thanks and best regards.....

Paul Hopewell
Esther
2014-05-22 19:15:48 UTC
Hi Paul,

If you double tap the edit button, so that it changes into a "Done" button, and then flick right past the camera roll and photo library, do you hear "delete, switch button, off" just before your choir album? If so, can you double tap that button and hear "Confirm deletion, button"? If I double tap anywhere on the screen, once focus is on the "Confirm deletion" button, I get a message "Are you sure you want to delete the album?" followed by the name of the album I created. Flicking right gives a "Delete Album" button followed by a "Cancel" button. Double tapping the "Delete Album" button brings my focus to the "Add" button, and if I flick through the albums, the one that I created is now gone from the list.

This is described for the iPhone on iOS 6, by the way. But I don't transfer photos, so I had to create an album on the iPhone in order to delete it.

HTH. Cheers,

Esther
Esther
Paul Hopewell
2014-05-23 09:23:19 UTC
Hi Esther,
If I use the add button to create a new empty photo album I can then delete that new album as you describe. However the delete switch button does not appear before the choir folder possibly because that folder is not empty or possibly because that folder was created via iTunes syncing the choir folder on my iMac. I tried to add a photo to the new test album I had just created but could not work out how to do that.
Was your new folder empty or did you put some photos in it before trying to delete it?
All the best....

Paul
Esther
2014-05-23 20:26:18 UTC
Hi Paul,

My reading of the Apple documentation is that in order to delete synced photos or videos from your iPhone, you have to turn off syncing in iTunes. From the Apple Knowledge Base document on iTunes: Syncing Photos at:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4236
<begin quote>
To delete synced photos and videos from your device
? In iTunes, click the Device button in the upper right corner. (If viewing the iTunes Store, click the Library button in the upper-right corner first.)
? Click the Photos tab in the resulting window.
? Choose "Selected albums" and deselect the albums or collections you want to delete.
Note: To delete all synced photos, deselect "Sync Photos from" and, when asked, click "Remove photos."
? Click Apply.
<end quote>

Because I don?t sync photos to my iPhone, I don?t see a category called ?photo library?, but only ?camera roll?. Under iOS 5 and 6, all synced photos appear in the photo library.

I was able to create an album with photos and delete it, but that was an album that did not contain synced photos. The tricky part was trying to only put a few photos into the album, because I didn?t know whether the images would be moved out of the camera roll and deleted when the album was deleted. It turns out that photos added to a newly created album from the camera roll are not removed from the camera roll when the album is created, so they are not deleted from the camera roll when you delete the album. I don?t know whether that is true if you add photos from your photo library or a particular synced album. What?s tricky is that after you select the camera roll, there is both a ?Select All Photos? button and a ?PL Blue Plus? button when you flick right. Double tapping either of these buttons has exactly exactly the same result of announcing, ?Selected? and turning the button into a ?Deselect all photos? button, except that flicking right to the second button now gives the announcement of ?PL Blue Minus?.

However, when I tried to select individual photos, I encountered another weird issue: when I flick right to navigate past the buttons for selecting all photos, and specifically when I move past the ?PL Blue Plus? button, I don?t hear any of the individual camera roll photos announced as I flick right, even when double tapping apparently selects these items. However, if I instead move to the last element on the screen with a four finger tap on the bottom half of the screen, and then flick left (photo stream tab, selected albums tab, then the announcement of the number of photos in the camera roll), I can hear the individual photos announced (by date and time) and double tap to select them. Again, I don?t hear the announcement of ?selected?, but I can tell these have been selected by moving back to the first element on the screen with a four finger tap on the top half of the screen, and I hear the announcement ?Add x photos to? plus the name of my created album, where ?x? is the number of photos that I double tapped. This also works to tell me that photos I tried to select by flicking left (where I could hear VoiceOver announce the photos) were selected. These issues don?t appear to be present for selecting photos under iOS 7.

Here are the steps I took after selecting the albums tab:
1) Double tap the add button in the top left corner (also the first element on the screen)
2) Type a name for the new album in the text field of the prompt to ?Enter a name for this album? and press the ?return? key in the bottom right corner of the on-screen keyboard. I typed in the name ?Choir?, and VoiceOver prompted with ?Add photos to Choir"
3) Flick right past ?Albums? and the ?Done? button to ?Camera Roll? and double tap. VoiceOver says ?Albums, back button?
4) Flick right past ?Camera Roll?, the ?Done? button, the ?Select All Photos? button, and the ?PL Blue Plus? button. You don?t hear VoiceOver announce anything. But I can do a four finger tap on the bottom half of the screen to move to the ?Photostream? tab, flick left to ?Selected, Albums, tab?, flick left to number of photos, and then flick left to through the various photos and select them. I don?t hear VO say ?Selected?, but the date-time information of the photo gets repeated when I double tap. If I want to select individual photos, and not all the photos in the Camera roll, I can immediately move to the last element in the screen to start flicking left, and skip the action in the first sentence of flicking right past the camera roll.
5) After selecting individual photos, four finger tap on the top half of the screen to move to first element in the screen. VoiceOver announces the number of selected photos and the name of the new album, for example ?Add 2 photos to Choir?.
6) Flick right past ?Albums, back button? and ?Camera roll? to ?Done? button and double tap. Your new album (with selected photos) will be created under Albums, and focus will move to the first element of the screen, which VO will announce as the ?Add? button. Flicking right lets me hear ?Album, heading?, ?Edit button?, ?Camera roll?, and ?Choir? with the number of photos in each album.
7) To delete the new ?Choir? album, I double tap the ?Edit? button, which turns into a ?Done? button, then flick right past ?Camera roll? to ?Delete, switch button, off?, which precedes the text field of the album.
8) I double tap the ?Delete, switch button, off?, and focus moves to a ?Confirm deletion button?
9) I double tap the ?Confirm deletion button? and hear VO say ?Alert, are you sure you want to delete the album ?Choir?? The photos will not be deleted?
10) Flicking right the ?Delete Album? button and double tapping removes the created album from the list.

Sorry to go into so much detail for an action which did not describe what you wanted to do. I think the behavior I saw was due to selecting photos from my camera roll, and not from a synced folder. I can delete photos from the camera roll directly, but creating albums with photos from the camera roll and deleting the albums doesn?t delete those photos.

Also, I think the reason for not hearing photos selected for the new album announced as ?Selected? is a focus issue. It turns out that when I selected photos for the new album that were not at the end of the camera roll, and went back to the end of the camera rolls and started flicking left again, I heard VoiceOver say ?Selected?, but offset from my actual selections. Someone verified this announcement was happening as I navigated through photos that were one row below my actual selected photos (which are visually indicated with a cross). The reason I tried selecting photos from the end of the camera roll is that this is something I do when I use TextGrabber to try to give me information on a startup screen with accessibility problems. I take a screen capture, which goes to the end of my Camera roll. When I run TextGrabber to have it try to OCR a screen capture on my Camera roll instead of using the camera to take a new picture, I move to the ?Album? button that is the last element of the screen, double tap, then navigate to the last photo on my Camera roll and find and select it by flicking left from the end of the screen, just past the announced number of photos. I found out that the failure to announce ?selected? on the correct photo was likely a focus problem when I flicked far enough left to select photos with very different dates and time, and then moved back to the end of the camera roll and started flicking left again to check VoiceOver's announcements, and was startled to hear ?selected? (but not at the photo positions I had actually selected).

This is likely information that will not be useful to most people, since this doesn?t happen under iOS 7. However, since I spent all this time experimenting, and since it might be something that Paul might encounter in trying to create albums on his iPhone, I decided to document both the method of selecting photos from the end of the camera roll, which at least gets announcements from VoiceOver, and also the focus bug of not having the correct photos that you chose get announced as ?selected? by VoiceOver, which instead applies this to photos one row below your actual selection. It?s impossible to diagnose this unless you navigate through the camera roll at least one more time after making your selection, and without a sighted person to confirm what was going on.

Sorry, Paul, but I don?t know a way to move forward on this. There was a time, a long while ago, that I was able to use an app called "Photo Transfer? to select and send photos to another device or computer on the same Wi-Fi network, but it was only accessible in the early versions ? a long time ago, somewhere under iOS 5 or maybe even a late version of iOS 4. I don?t do enough with photos to check things like this out, and I don?t have a large photo library on my computer. The only reason I originally tried a photo transfer app was because I wanted to check the limitations of iPad cameras in performing OCRs with apps. Transferring photos from an iPhone camera to an iPad camera roll and running an OCR app on that image worked perfectly well. In some cases I could run OCRs on screen capture images from the iPad to diagnose app startup screen accessibility issues, even when I couldn?t take other pictures with the iPad camera.

Also, this is related to another question you asked in a different thread: it is possible to transfer images to an iPad?s photo app via an SD card inserted into an iPad Camera Connection Kit, but I don?t think this will be the solution to move your friend?s photos from her PC, for reasons of both organization and accessibility. With the first generation iPad, the iPad Camera Connection Kit accessory provided some really interesting features that were not possible with either the iPhone or the iPod Touch. These included the ability to connect USB devices using one of the adapters in the iPad Camera Connection Kit, which was a 30-pin to USB adapter plug, and also to transfer photos using a second Camera Connection Kit adapter, which was a 30-pin plug with a slot for inserting an SD card. Most of the really exciting possibilities came from using the USB adapter plug ? it was clearly designed so people would be able to use the iPad to connect to devices for audio input and composition, like Midi players, unpowered USB microphones, etc. I was able to plug in a Griffin iMic into the USB connector and record directly from my tape player into the Voxie Pro Recorder app. In the first iOS release, I was even able to connect a USB keyboard into the connector and use it with VoiceOver navigation in place of the Apple Wireless Keyboard, and to connect a USB card reader, which I don?t think you can do any more.

However, the limitation on using the SD card and the USB card reader is that the only file types that are recognized by the iPad are camera type image files like jpegs or video files. And there was no file structure preserved in the form of folder organization. The only application that could transfer these files was the Photos app, and apart from the problems of being able to distinguish photos via labels with VoiceOver, about the only thing you could do would be to select all the images and transfer them ? or else navigate through a long set of images to select individual items. I don?t even remember whether you could do that with VoiceOver. The situation is similar to being able to use the ?open in? function for apps on your device. In order to be able to open files in particular apps on your iPhone, the file type must be recognized and supported under the operating system, and the capability to ?Open in? that application must be written into that app. It initially was not possible to transfer eBooks directly to your device without using iTunes Sync. Using email attachments and DropBox to move these files were features that were added in later.

There are equivalent connectors to the two that were part of the iPad Camera Connection Kit for 30-pin connectors for the current generation of iOS devices that use lightning connectors, and each can be separately purchased. I have no familiarity with using these connectors. However, the basic limitations of the transfer mechanism are likely to be the same, along with any of the issues of VoiceOver accessibility in identifying and selecting files in the Photos app.

If you can locate an accessible photo transfer app, that might be a way to proceed. The only way I?ve handled moving files to an iOS device for someone who needs direct transfer of their own files from a Mac computer is to create a separate user account with a separate iTunes.

Sorry not to have a better answer for you. HTH. Cheers,

Esther
Esther
Paul Hopewell
2014-05-24 09:27:09 UTC
HI Esther,
Yes that did the trick. One has to get into the way Apple engineers think!
Many thanks for the info and best wishes....

Paul
Hi Paul,