iPhone 4S; is it really worthwhile?
Tracy Thompson
2011-11-16 16:39:51 UTC
Hello group

I hope you don't mind me posting this here as I'm not blind or visually impaired. Lynne and Gordon have told me that the list is not only for the visually impaired so I thought I would post.

I currently have a Samsung Symbian phone, (so I'm told), and it's dying rapidly. I've had this phone for about 2 years and it's been dropped several times.

Anyway, I am seriously considering moving over to the Apple phone because I've seen Gordon and Lynne's phone and seen it in use. It's only a 3GS which brings me to my next question. I'm contemplating buying 1 for myself and also 1 for Gordon as a Christmas present. But I am told that the iPhone 4S doesn't use the same SIM card as the 3GS does. I gather it is meant for a micro-SIM.

So how difficult would it be to get hold of a new SIM without changing the phone number on Gordon's 3GS? I know a lot of you are outside of the UK and things are different. When I worked in Sydney and New York for a while the environments were very different. But that's another discussion for a different place. What I nee is an objective view as to whether this would be a good buy or whether I should just look at something else. Yes I have looked at a few Android phones and yes some of them look quite attractive. But as I live with Gordon and lynne I really want compatibility with what they use so that they can share things with me and visa versa.

I'm looking at the 64G version of iPhone 4S which costs ?699.00 from the Apple Store and about ?800 Pounds from other places. Any constructive comment is very welcome, with thanks.

Tracy Thompson
Bubba
2011-11-16 16:52:58 UTC
This is not a problem with the simm card as you can get a cutter to cut his
card down to fit the new iPhone and also a adapter to make a micro simm fit
in place of a regular simm . As for which phone to get if you are a seeing
person I guess this would be preface as accessibility does not come into
play. I am a big iPhone fan but this is because of the accessibility factor!
If you Google for simm cutter and adapter you will find them just about
everywhere. I think they are about 10 to 25 bucks for a set . So back to
which phone to get if blind or with other handicap I would say the iPhone is
the only way to go when accessibility comes into play as of now. If
Accessibility does not come into play then it is a matter of budget and not
wanting to be locked to apple app approval! If I was going to buy a iPhone
right now I would not even think of buying anything but the 4s! But this is
my JMO! HTH

Sign,
Bubba

mac-access at mac-access.net

You can find an archive of all messages posted to the Mac-Access forum at
or at the public Mail Archive:
<http://www.mail-archive.com/mac-access at mac-access.net/>.
Subscribe to the list's RSS feed from:
<http://www.mail-archive.com/mac-access at mac-access.net/maillist.xml>

The Mac-Access mailing list is guaranteed malware, spyware, Trojan, virus
and worm-free!

Please remember to update your membership options periodically by visiting
the list website at:
Tracy Thompson
2011-11-16 19:52:15 UTC
Hello Bubba, this is Tracy.

Thank you for your perspective on this it is an interesting one. Actually though I am visually abled as Lynne calls it, sighted as a lot of others do. But accessibility and compatibility do come into this because I'd be buying 2 phones for Gordon and myself. I want my own phone to be compatible with their systems and everything they use here is Apple and that includes the servers that power this list and everything else here.

The Android phones seem to vary a lot but I've been doing some reading and it would seem that most of them don't contain any accessible features out of the box. So I've opted not to go that road because of reasons above.

It is now just a choice between Symbian (for me) and iPhone for Gordon, or iPhone for both of us. It's looking more likely to be iPhone for us both which would be 16G for me and 64G for Gordon.

The only thing that annoys me regarding the iPhone is that you don't get any kind of case or other things with it. You have to pay top prices for those as well so it is going to work out expensive. So we'll see how we go. Again thank you for the info regarding the SIM cutter which I didn't know exists.

Tracy Thompson

mac-access at mac-access.net

You can find an archive of all messages posted to the Mac-Access forum at
or at the public Mail Archive:
<http://www.mail-archive.com/mac-access at mac-access.net/>.
Subscribe to the list's RSS feed from:
<http://www.mail-archive.com/mac-access at mac-access.net/maillist.xml>

The Mac-Access mailing list is guaranteed malware, spyware, Trojan, virus
and worm-free!

Please remember to update your membership options periodically by visiting
the list website at:

To reply to this post, please address your message to mac-access at mac-access.net

You can find an archive of all messages posted to the Mac-Access forum at either the list's own dedicated web archive:

Geoff Waaler
2011-11-16 20:00:58 UTC
Hi Tracy,

Depending on your scenario you may not need a sim cutter. I recently
upgraded from a 3GS to a 4S using the same carrier (AT&T here in the US) and
the microsim card was apparently coded to my phone number and installed in
China. From your price quotes, however you may be in the market for
unlocked devices with no commitment -- or perhaps the prices are much higher
in the UK?

Best regards.
Geoff

Tracy Thompson
2011-11-16 20:28:05 UTC
Hello Geoff

I wouldn't be buying from the carrier; it would be SIM-free and unlocked. We could apparently get a micro-SIM from O2 but I don't know how easy that would be. Thank you for your reply and interesting comment.

Tracy Thompson

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tracy Thompson" <tracy at the-wacky-workshop.co.uk>

Dónal Fitzpatrick

dfitzpat at computing.dcu.ie
Tracy Thompson
2011-11-16 22:40:36 UTC
Hello Donal

Thank you for your interesting input. My inclination would be to avoid the cutters actually because I am not a technical person with this sort of thing. I don't think I would feel comfortable with that and although the thing would be for Gordon I would feel responsible if it broke at all.

I'm going to chat with Lynne about it later as there are issues at work here that I can't talk about on list which might affect the way we do this or even if we do it at all.

Thank you

Tracy Thompson

Bubba
2011-11-16 22:50:50 UTC
Hi, the cutter is not hard to use at all you just drop the simm card in it
and push the two halves together. Now if you get one of them very cheap ones
where you have to use it like a pair of scissors than that might be a
problem. But I sure you can just buy a micro simm and then an adapter on the
net and just use your micro simm in the other phone. JST and HTH

Bubba

Mrs. Lynnette Annabel Smith
2011-11-17 07:56:36 UTC
Hello Bubba; Lynne here this time as Tracy has gone to work. :)

I'm now looking into this for her. We discussed it last night and we've decided to have a serious look to see what we and, particularly, Gordon who requires VoiceOver and accessibility would gain from the iPhone 4S upgrade.

What keeps nagging at me is the fact that his 3GS still works perfectly and I'm a little reluctant, as always on these things, to upgrade for the sake of upgrading. I mean, although it's true that I could then permanently hijack the 3GS and use it when I'm out and about, it would really have to be a worthwhile upgrade to be honest. I mean, he'd really have to benefit from the upgrade in significant ways.

I am quite excited about Siri; reading the documentation blurb it looks to be an interesting tool. I think I'm right in saying that it won't run on the iPhone 3GS?

Lynne

Dónal Fitzpatrick

dfitzpat at computing.dcu.ie
Mrs. Lynnette Annabel Smith
2011-11-17 09:25:18 UTC
Hello Donal

As always I, and I am sure the group as a whole, will be most interested in your findings.

Any chance of a few of those spare Euros? ;-)

Lynne

Dónal Fitzpatrick

dfitzpat at computing.dcu.ie
Mrs. Lynnette Annabel Smith
2011-11-17 11:43:07 UTC
Hello Donal

I totally understand that, given the state of the Euro economy. Europe is only just starting to feel the pinch and it will get worse before it gets better for all of us even though the UK is outside of the Euro zone.

Anyway, let's get back to the iPhone. We will have to decide soon what we're going to do. Christmas is coming fast, along with all of its hassles and inconveniences. Tracy wants to do this for Gordon, but we now have something else unrelated in mind as well so it's a case of which will be most used. To be truthful I think Gordon is happy enough with his 3GS so we might just stick and wait a while but do something else for him for Christmas.

Lynne

Dónal Fitzpatrick
dfitzpat at computing.dcu.ie
Nicolai Svendsen
2011-11-17 13:37:49 UTC
Hi!

I've already purchased the 4S, but it's taking forever to get here because Apple's shipment schedules are far from up-to-date, as we only have about one retail store here not considering resellers, so I figure it's coming from England again.

I think it'll be worthwhile in my case. I text a lot, and at least when I do use VoiceOver, I find it's quite sluggish even when sticking to Compact voices and not just while texting. Even trying out the 4 made a massive difference as I was practically able to type without any particular sluggishness, so I imagine that with the 4S it'll be even faster. While the specs would make that an obvious conclusion, knowing the facts and actually trying it makes for a much more educated opinion when you've tried it. I've often found that if I switch VoiceOver off, tap the Messages app, locate or add another conversation from Contacts and begin typing, it reacts a lot faster to my input. Even so, the device sometimes freezes up if I tap quickly causing the letters to be entered at a ridiculous rate. When the phone unfreezes again, all the letters I tried to type are entered simultaneously. I've also noticed that when receiving a huge amount of text messages, the phone sometimes stutters and promptly crashes. App loading times are also suffering greatly here.

Even on the 4 when using premium voices, I didn't find them lagging behind slightly, so that's another thing I can look forward to on the 4S. I'm hoping that some of those crashes or freezes will be taken care of with upgraded hardware specifications, which I'm pretty sure is going to be the case. I didn't find I had anywhere near as many lockups as I did with the 3GS.

So, now I'm patiently waiting. I doubt Siri is going to be a lot of use here, though. Dictating isn't going to be a popular choice in Denmark, since it only speaks English, French and German right now and as the rumors go, I heard they might be adding a few more in 2012 Spanish being one of them. Danish wasn't on that list. I understand why that is given that it's a lot more advanced, however, but it still makes the 4S a bit less worth the money.

If we consider looking up information, businesses and so-forth, I wasn't really impressed when it came to other countries than the United States. Even in the UK, it seemed to say that it was only able to look up businesses in the United States, and if using US English. Given the services Apple uses to look up information, such as Yelp which only has one language listed and a lot of countries missing except the bigger ones on the map, a lot of people are still being left out of the ability to tap into Siri completely. Wolfram Alpha isn't so limited, as it only revolves around obtaining knowledge. I recall someone telling me a while back that particular Siri features would only be in beta in the US for now, which is odd since Yelp actually supports countries like the United Kingdom and Ireland.

I'm hoping this will be expanded in due course, as Siri is practically dependent. I also know that to some people who have the services readily available, this isn't going to be a huge deal for obvious reasons.

Regards,
Nicolai
Mrs. Lynnette Annabel Smith

Dane Trethowan
2011-11-17 15:41:41 UTC
There's a very informative review on the iPhone 4S at
<http://www.techguide.com.au> which goes through some very important
reasons as to why someone with an iPhone 3GS or 4 may wish to upgrade to
an iPhone, the main one being speed.

Excellent examples are also given of the Siri voice assistive system.
dfitzpat at computing.dcu.ie
[...]
From Melton Victoria Australia
skype callto:grtdane12
MSN: grtdane at dane-trethowan.net
Chris G
2011-11-17 09:32:05 UTC

Check out this demonstration of Siri. You are correct, it does not run
on anything other then the 4S.

http://audioboo.fm/boos/544034-a-comprehensive-audio-demonstration-of-siri.mp3

On Thu, 17 Nov 2011 07:56:36 +0000
[...]
-
The home of the Mystic Place blog and podcast.
http://www.mysticplace.info
Mailing lists: lists.mysticplace.info
Dónal Fitzpatrick

dfitzpat at computing.dcu.ie
Esther
2011-11-17 20:12:48 UTC
Hello D?nal,

There are a few additional features of the iPhone 4S that might make it more worthwhile for you, though these reasons are not as applicable for Lynne and Gordon. The iPhone 4S supports device mirroring through the dock connector outputs to either VGA or HDMI output. This means that if you're doing presentations of how apps work for your classes, most of the apps can be projected. This is also going to be true if you're doing demos of iOS apps in connection with presentations at meetings. The iPhone 3GS doesn't have this capability because the dock connection was redesigned to support digital audio out with the iPad 1. That's why the older Blue Mikey recorders that work with the iPhone 3GS don't work with later models such as the iPads, the iPhone 4 and 4S, and the 4th generation iPod Touch.

The iPad 2 was the first iOS device to support device mirroring of screen output. That means that one of the differences between the first and second generation iPad is that, while both iPads can be hooked up to a projector and used to show YouTube videos, Keynote presentations, and Camera roll slideshows, in general only apps that are specifically written to support device mirroring can be projected from the iPad 1, while the default for the iPad 2 is that all apps will support device mirroring unless they are specifically written to block this function. As an instructor, if you display apps on an iPad 2 or iPhone 4S, most of these will be shown. Even more interesting, since Airplay support of these apps uses a similar implementation, even without a dock connection, you can use Airplay to direct these same outputs to other Airplay devices (e.g. another computer), and if these apps would be mirrored through a dock connection, then they'll be redirected through Airplay. I haven't had a chance to play with instances under iOS 5 where Apple separated out VoiceOver and other audio through Airplay redirection, but this could potentially be very neat for giving general presentations and demonstrations that are not limited to Keynote, etc.

You can read more about this in the recent TUAW article, "Six iPhone 4S features you may have missed":
http://www.tuaw.com/2011/11/15/six-iphone-4s-features-you-may-have-missed/

And yes, there is a problem with Siri understanding Scottish accents. I mentioned to James off list that I accompanied someone who picked up a new iPhone 4S. Despite several years in the U.S., he hasn't lost his Edinburgh accent, so is spending time working with Siri. (This means that I haven't had much opportunity to "borrow" his iPhone 4S for testing purposes.)

Cheers,

Esther
Post by Dónal Fitzpatrick
http://youtu.be/My40XgYEvLM
Warning: May contain language some could consider offensive, I simply can't remember.
Hi,
Dónal Fitzpatrick
2011-11-17 20:28:19 UTC
Well now Esther, I'll have to play with, I mean investigate that feature in a systematic and thorough manner which, of course, would necessitate me taking the device home from work for a while?

Thanks very much.
Post by Dónal Fitzpatrick
http://youtu.be/My40XgYEvLM
Warning: May contain language some could consider offensive, I simply can't remember.
Hi,
dfitzpat at computing.dcu.ie

Mrs. Lynnette Annabel Smith
2011-11-17 11:44:49 UTC
Hello Chris

Thank you ever so. This is precisely what I needed. Tracy will be thrilled.

Lynne

Bubba
2011-11-16 22:44:34 UTC
Hi, if you want to be compatibility with them on their stuff then the
iPhone is the only way to go I would think. I would not get anything less
than the iphone4s is my thoughts. Also the cases can be expensive but it
depend on the case! But I still would say the iPhone is the way to go for
this. Now you not going to put a lot of music or videos and such on the
phone the 16 gb will be just fine. If you are then the 32 or 64 gb comes
into play. JST and HTH

Bubba

Tracy Thompson
2011-11-16 22:49:30 UTC
Hello Bubba

Thank you for your interesting comment. It's either the iPhone or nothing I think. It depends upon what Lynne says to me later.

The size of the memory is an issue because I have a lot of things that I like to keep handy. Currently I use an old iPod Touch but the battery is dying so that is soon dead in the water. I will see what Lynne says but because I store not only music but also movies on my device I think that both mine and Gordon's would have to be 64G

Tracy Thompson

into play.
Maria, Joe and Karly
2011-11-17 11:14:40 UTC
HI. if u have ebay have a look for iphone cases. Igot a heap of them
in a bundle thing and they weren't that expensive.

hth.

Maria, Joe& Karly from Australia

God created the sun just to say good morning to you. The moon just to say good night. And the cross to say "I love you"
twitter bubbygirl
skype: bubbygirl1972
Mrs. Lynnette Annabel Smith
2011-11-17 11:56:33 UTC
Helo Maria

I know this is probably going to sound stupid; but eBay frightens me. I've heard so many horror stories about it where people have been the victims of fraudulent activities when buying goods on eBay and it kind of scared me off.

I'll have a look, because I think it's the same thing as Paypal more or less for which we have a verified business account.

Lynne